I was delighted to learn of the Alaska Zoo's decision to move Maggie to a facility where she can be with other elephants. However, I am concerned about a recent statement by the board's president, Dick Thwaites, who indicated that it would be months before all the logistics of the move are decided. This statement raises red flags for me.
Is there really a need for such a lengthy delay? Or was the announcement of the move just a ruse to relieve some of the pressure that the zoo has experienced?
If the zoo is sincere in its concern for Maggie, she will be moved to another facility as soon as her health allows. To delay for many more months means that Maggie might be forced to spend another winter confined to her barren barn. If this happens, I do not believe that she will survive until the spring.
---- Betty Gatano
EDITOR'S NOTE: The writer is a volunteer with the Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee.