There is nothing like the good old days. The Republican "leadership" apparently has a fond affection for the days of old and is methodically dragging us backward into the past. For me, I'm trying to figure out their destination for this time machine. It seems that their ultimate goal is a time when:
* Teaching and public service were undesirable, nonprofessions with low wages and benefits, mostly good for a family's second income or for a single woman.
* Medical liability doesn't exist when hurt by a bad doctor or taken by snake oil salesman.
* Workers' compensation doesn't exist.
* Ethics laws never the light of day.
* Citizens are too stupid to hear evidence and determine what are fair settlements in legal issues. Government knows better and must set limits for the misguided peasants.
* Anything business wants, business gets, because people always come second.
* Everybody should be packing a gun.
* Slaughter of undesirable wild animals is policy.
The destination the Republicans have for us must be somewhere around the 1870s. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they try to abolish the child labor laws next session. The Republicans new state motto should read "Forward to the Past."
David Bisegger / Anchorage